Henry Ott Consultants
Electromagnetic Compatibility Consulting and Training
Table of Contents
1. Electromagnetic Compatibility
4. Balancing and Filtering
5. Passive Components
7. Contact Protection
8. Intrinsic Noise Sources
9. Active Device Noise
10. Digital Circuit Grounding
11. Digital Circuit Power
12. Digital Circuit Radiation
13. Conducted Emission
14. RF and Transient Immunity
15. Electrostatic Discharge
16. PCB Layout and Syackup
17. Mixed-Signal PCB Layout
18. Precompliance EMC
Appendix A. The Decibel
Appendix B. The Ten Best Ways to
Maximize the Emission From
Appendix C. Multiple Reflection of
Magnetic Fields in Thin Shields
Appendix D. Dipoles for Dummies
Appendix E. Partial Inductance
Appendix F. Answers to Problems
Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering
Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering started out being a third edition to my best selling book Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems, 2nd edition., but it turned out to be much more than that, hence, the title change. Nine of the original twelve chapters were completely rewritten. In addition, there are six new chapters, plus two new appendices, with over 600 pages of new and revised material (including 342 new figures). Most of the new material relates to the practical application of the theory of electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) engineering, and it is based on experience gained from my EMC consulting work, and the teaching of EMC training seminars over the last 20 plus years.
This book is intended primarily for the practicing engineer who is involved in the design of electronic equipment or systems and is faced with EMC and regulatory compliance issues. It addresses the practical aspects of electromagnetic compatibility engineering, covering both emission and immunity. The concepts presented in this book are applicable to analog and digital circuits operating from below audio frequencies up to those operating in the GHz range. Emphasis is on cost-effective EMC designs. Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering is the most comprehensive book on the subject and reflects all the latest advances and developments in the field.
– Click for Back Cover –
The book is also written in such a way that it can easily be used as a textbook for teaching a senior level, or continuing education, course in electromagnetic compatibility. To this end, the book contains 251 problems for the student to work out, the answers to which are included in the appendix. The book contains eighteen chapters and six appendices, almost 900 pages.
★★★★★ 4.7 Amazon.com Star rating (28 customer reviews)
The Association of American Publishers has awarded John Wiley & Sons the 2009 Publishers Association Award* of Excellence in the field of Engineeering and Technology, for the publication of "Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering" by Henry W. Ott.
* These awards "recognize books, journals and electronic products that best exemplify a sound contribution to professional and scholarly publishing, maintaining both the highest editorial standards and the highest standards of design and production.
The Korean translation of Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering was a 2014 National Academy of Sciences, Republic of Korea "Excellent Book in the Field of Natural Sciences."
For more information check out the Book Translations link.
Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering stands out from other EMC books in a number of ways:
2. The critical balance between theory and practical applications. Most EMC books either overemphasize the theoretical aspects of EMC, swamping the reader with mathematics and the derivation of equations, or give “cook book” solutions to EMC problems with little or no theory to back them up. Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering strikes a critical balance by providing sufficient theory for the reader to be able to understand the principle being discussed, but no more than necessary. In this way the reader understands “why” the principle is applicable, and is therefore capable of applying the theory to other situations.
Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering available at:
Digital Editions are available for your computer/laptop (ebook), Kindle, Nook, Apple iOS devices & Android devices.
For links to the appropriate book format, click on your desired device below.
Errata Sheet For Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering
Henry Ott Consultants
48 Baker Road, Livingston, NJ 07039
Phone: 973-992-1793, Fax: 973-533-1442
November 18, 2016 (jw)